Monday, 3 March 2014

Why living in a student house is not for me

As a third year student, this is the first year I have experienced living in student accommodation. Previous to this I have been lucky enough to have rented privately with someone. But while I am here, I would just like to share my experience of living in a student house and why it is a mistake I will NEVER make again.

Reasons I chose the house I live in:

  • Ensuite
  • Fairly cheap (£1600 a term)
  • 3 minute walk to uni
  • Not far to move from my previous house
Without going into detail, or mentioning anyone's names there are numerous problems which have arisen:
  • Kitchen equipment is constantly being stolen;
  • Certain housemates are unable to use headphones and feel the need to disturb lots of us until the early hours of the morning;
  • Drug use, even after a visit from the police;
  • An inability to stick to a house agreed rubbish rota (please see photo below)
  • An under-age party (kicking drunk 15 year olds out of the house with another housemate is not how I intend to spend my Friday night)
  • Use of my personal microwave without permission
  • Defacing signs made for the benefit of everyone
  • Bullying
People say you are meant to make friends for life in houses like these and there is only one of 14 housemates who I can actually see myself still being in contact with in 12 months time. 

I have been targeted and bullied for trying to make an effort in this house, to get people to be considerate and to tidy up after themselves. I have had my labels and signs defaced, my magnets broken, glasses and plates stolen and not returned, my sleep pattern interrupted, my days disturbed with loud music. Notes I have left have been ignored, laughed at and all methods I have tried have been exhausted. I have had confrontations with one house mate in particular, and as someone who is a considerable amount smaller than him in both build and height, I feel threatened and uncomfortable around him. 

I spend more and more time in my bedroom or away from the house, avoiding the communal parts just to avoid the housemates. I feel empty and alone in this house, isolated and excluded. I don't eat or sleep properly anymore, and cannot focus on my uni work as much as I would like to. 

No one else is having their stuff defaced or broken. People are having their kitchen equipment stolen, but that doesn't make me feel any better - they are suffering too. 

After threatening to contact my letting agencies manager, I am waiting on a meeting with the possibility that I can move house - albeit it will be somewhere with other students, but at least it will be somewhere I feel safe.

So for anyone reading this who is planning on moving into student accommodation - don't, not unless you know and trust the people you are going to live with. And for everyone else reading this, I just wanted to share my experience. 

Less than one weeks worth of rubbish,
which took nearly 30 minutes to bag,
after housemates left it spilling all over the floor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment